Friday, October 3, 2008

My Bloody Valentine at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium

Noise terrorists My Bloody Valentine put in a blood curdling performance last night on the final night of their US tour. This is the first time I wore ear-plugs to a gig and although I don't have the post-concert ringing in my ears I do have a low frequency buzzing...

Even with hearing protection this was by far the loudest concert I've ever been to - a couple of times I loosened my ear-plugs and it was absolutely deafening. Anyway, it was a good show as MBV worked their way through the best parts of 'Isn't Anything' and 'Loveless', which seems to be the more popular album here.

We've all seen the YouTube clips of the noise barrage that is the closing part of 'You made me realise' but nothing prepared me for the sheer power and intensity of the experience. After the first part of the song MBV break into an explosion of noise which can only be described as like being strapped to the jet engine of a DC10 on take-off during a thunderstorm with a multi-story building collapsing on top of you. My whole body was shaking as the apocalyptic soundscape threatened to blow the ceiling off of the auditorium into the nearby pacific... The noise barrage went on for over 20 minutes (I timed it) without any reduction in intensity and had many fans stumbling shell-shocked towards the exits...



This isn't the clearest video but this is the closest one I found to what it actually sounded like:

No comments: