Friday, March 13, 2009

Watchmen

Finally found time to see Watchmen last night. I enjoyed it despite the fact I went out to complain twice that the projection was out of focus - which it was for all the commercials and trailers beforehand... They still didn't fix it!

Anyways, having not read the graphic novel for 15 years I was able to watch the film on it's own merits and I thought Zack Snyder did an excellent job. The casting was amazing, especially Jack Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Billy Crudup in their roles as Rorschach, The Comedian and Dr Manhatten respectively... The special effects were very cool without having that cheesy CG look and indeed the whole movie had a neat retro feel, capturing the eras (in Moore's parallel world) in which it took place faultlessly... The action sequences didn't overwhelm what is a cerebral plot and the graphic violence and sex was in keeping with the spirit of the graphic novel - at least what I can remember of it...

No comments: