Monday, July 20, 2009

Trashcan Sinatras at The Coach House

The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano is an unusual venue (for Southern California at least) - its trestle tables running perpendicular right up to the wide stage probably more suited to the country music circuit... Inappropriately, (for the venue and Trashcan Sinatras) the support band was an appalling goth trio called Normandie, which featured a girl on drums who came from the school of thought that loud = good. There is nothing more depressing than a crap sounding drum kit (note the band also had no bass player) played incredibly loud. Anyway, at least the drums drowned out some pretty average vocals and Cure/Cult flanged guitar...

Trashcan Sinatras were predictably brilliant as always. I haven't really listed to the new CD 'In the music' much (I found it a little boring) but the songs sounded really good live. Indeed, they played most (if not all) of the new cd, plus three or four from 'Weightlifting' and a few oldies such as 'The Safecracker', 'Earlies', 'Easy Read', 'I've seen everything' and 'How can I apply'. Looking forward to seeing them again in a few weeks when they return from Japan...

1 comment:

lila said...

I think the new songs will sound even better live! I can't believe they played Prisons, Astronomy, & Morning Star! My faves from the new album. See you in San Diego!