Friday, June 27, 2008

ExDetectives at Robertos






Robertos should be a great venue - cool Chinatown location and large outdoor patio. The band room/bar is ok, pretty large but basically a square room. I'm no sound designer but if you have a square room - not so good. Ok, so we have a square room so we need to do something to stop the sound bouncing around too much - I know, we'll make every wall a huge mirror! Ok, strike 2 but we'll put our sound desk in the best possible location... Er no, the sound desk (if they had one) or PA was behind the stage somewhere! I saw the 'sound' guy walk out a few times but I suspect he knew his hands were tied...

OK, so you probably know by now I'm not going to describe the best ExDetectives show I've seen... Chris's guitar was too loud, Meriah's bass was inaudible (the one instrument supposedly DI'd) and Faris's vocal was drowned in a sea of reverb... But credit to them they kept at it and actually the last three songs (Closing Bell, Problem Song and The Lawn) sounded very good from the side of the stage. ExDetectives live performances are consistently good but tonight they were at the mercy of four mirrored walls of sound...

No comments: