Saturday, July 26, 2008

Brookline at The Clinic

The Clinic is a new art/music/workspace a few doors down from The Echo in Echo Park... An interesting space - a long narrow room (that was obviously a clinic) with rooms either side with some art exhibits, amongst which were an exhibit that could only be described as upskirt photography... Up a small flight of stairs was a makeshift bar serving sangria and kegged beer and then on the roof was some food and a band called Dogweed, who were serving up some decent alt-country... The crowd was cool and artsy - definitely Echo Park hipsters... The music was great too - the DJ playing the Santogold vs Diplo mixtape before Brookline came on...

Orange County's Brookline played a good set - one or two minor sounds problems but these were quickly resolved... I find it difficult to classify Brookline and this may be a good or a bad thing. Definately bad in terms of my lazy 'journalism' but I think they need to develop more of an aural personality. They look good and are all great musicians but their lack of a memorable song or two has me thinking 'Battle of the Bands'... Anyways, they are better than 95% of the bands I see when I go to this type of thing and I'd like to see them play again before The Unknown Theater night...

No comments: