Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Bored to Death...

I read a couple of interesting things today:

1) In just two weeks the new Coldplay effort Viva La Vida has sold more downloads than any album in digital history...

2) US Weekly quotes Chris Martin as saying "Like millions of people in the world, I can't listen to Coldplay."

I'm siding with Mr Paltrow on this one, he is 100% right - 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends' is unlistenable. I'm not anti-Coldplay by any means - I thought the first cd was good but they've mailed in the last few. Even the godlike genius of Brian Eno couldn't save this one and I suspect he done a runner after the first 30 seconds of the cd, leaving a sugary sticky mess of guitars that sound like keyboards and vice versa. The songs are underdeveloped and the lyrics cliche-ridden beyond extreme... The one song that seems to have any lyrical adventure is 'Viva La Vida', the sort of historical tale of empire that Neil Hannon is so adept at, but that turns out a clumsy jumbled mess in Mr Paltrow's hands...

Keith Haworth, on the other hand, was never a Coldplay fan:

"I have nearly managed to avoid hearing practically anything that they have ever done due to being a dab hand with the remote control. They are also the worst dressed band in the entire history of the world and even Eno cannot inject an ounce of life into their bedwetting middle classic cuntishness of inane melodic inspired insipidity."

I'm off to listen to 'Low'...

No comments: