Sunday, April 20, 2008

Transatlanticism

Saturday we went to my cousin Jason's wedding. He's more a distant cousin but I don't really understand all that geneology stuff... Actually my Dad and Jason's mum Dianne are cousins. Dianne and her husband Mike (picture a Jewish Bob Hoskins) moved to the US when they were in their early 20's and never went back... they now live about 200 miles north of LA. I haven't seen them or Jason for over 10 years (even though Jason lives in LA) and I met Dianne's daughter Penny, who is my age, for the first time. She went to live in the UK and is married to Metin (who has appeared in a few movies with his twin brother) who comes from Bermondsey!! Penny is over here at the moment teaching a semester at UCLA.

It was interesting to hear some of the old stories. Apparently my grandmother and Dianne's Mum Violet were best friends and my grandmother married Violet's brother Bill (my grandfather...) Mike's Dad Al Burke was a jazz musician who played bass with Benny Carter and appears on a number of his LP's...

No comments: