Monday, November 24, 2008

Adrian Bewley - Guilty White Boy



Adrian Bewley's Beat EP (2004) featured a certain Ian D. Matthews on guitar so it's little wonder that it's taken four years to overcome that set-back and release a debut full length cd 'Guilty White Boy'...

I'm probably not the best person to review a cd in the acoustic singer-songwriter genre so I'll keep it short and sweet. The cd is actually very strong and full of good performances both by Adrian and a number of guest musicians, who add just the right amount of texture without overwhelming the acoustic guitars and vocals... There are touches of country, folk, blues and jazz and the best songs have more than a little 10,000 Maniacs about them which is a good thing. Adrian's lyrics are always interesting and he really stretches himself on songs such as 'Montgomery Clift' and 'Times Square 1948'...

Not really my cup of tea but an enjoyable listen nonetheless...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi. Um, this might be a little late (three years too late actually), but Adrian Bewley is my English teacher. Someone must have found out about his album because the next thing you know, its on fb and I'm looking it up. I also share your sentiments; the fact being that although a good listening, i don't normally go for that kind of stuff. By the way, like your blog. pretty interesting stuff you have. I have been blogging for about six months so far reviewing old horror films. take a look! (if you follow me, then I'll follow you)