Saturday, August 15, 2009

Back to the garden...

I'm going on down to Yasgur's Farm,
I'm gonna join in a rock and roll band.
I'm gonna camp out on the land.
I'm gonna get my soul free.
(Joni Mitchell - Woodstock)

They say a picture paints a thousand words... Well, much has been written about the 40th anniversary of Woodstock (August 15-18 1969) but for me seeing some of the iconic photography has been just as important as reading what cultural or political relevance Woodstock may (or may not) have had on the history of the good old U.S. of A...

The photos, such as those published on the Life Magazine website, have a vibrant color compared to the saturated footage we're used to seeing in the Woodstock movie. The most iconic Woodstock image is probably the photo of Bobby and Nick Ercoline taken by Newsweek photographer Burk Uzzle that was used on the cover of the Woodstock soundtrack LP.



The photo captured what it was like to be there — the slush and rain, the fatigue and the feeling of revolution, amid a haze of drugs. 40 years later Bobby and Nick Ercoline are still together! They are both 60 now and have two grown children, aged 28 and 30...

No comments: